“Words have magical power. Language not only describes reality, it creates reality. Language, imagination and creativity are the keys to transforming the world.” — Deepak Chopra, featured reader
Scribd’s vision has always been to liberate the written word because, like Mr. Chopra, we believe in the transformative power of knowledge and information sharing. That’s why we’re launching the Read For A Cause program — to leverage the incredible power of the social web to enable change and combat illiteracy.
To do this, we’ve enlisted some of today’s most well known thinkers, writers and influencers to help spread the word by sharing their reading lists. The program will benefit Room to Read, an international literacy organization that builds libraries for children in under-served communities around the world.
Each featured reader will share their recommendations on some of the best books, poems, research and other written works they read for inspiration and entertainment. The recommendations will be available for free on www.scribd.com/readforacause, where you can choose to spread the word by Readcasting the collections or by donating.
Deepak Chopra, New York Times best-selling author and a longtime supporter of global literacy efforts, has created and shared his Scribd reading list on the Read For A Cause profile page.
Future featured readers will include:
- Lee Child, bestselling author of Jack Reacher book series
- Danny Chun, head writer for NBC’s “The Office”
- Deepak Chopra, New York Times bestselling author
- Jeffery Deaver, Bestselling thriller author, master of the mind game, and author of the upcoming 2011 James Bond novel
- James Fallows, respected journalist and national correspondent, The Atlantic
- Tim Ferriss, author of international bestseller “The 4-Hour Workweek”
- Fannie Flagg, New York Times bestselling author and screenwriter best-known for Fried Green Tomatoes. Her latest novel is I Still Dream About You
- Sir James Galway, internationally renowned classical flutist
- Louis (Lou) Gossett Jr., Academy-Award winner, “An Officer and a Gentleman”
- Paul Graham, venture capitalist and co-founder of Y Combinator
- Sara Gruen, New York Times bestselling author of Water for Elephants and Ape House
- Tony Hawk, professional skateboarder and entrepreneur
- Justin Halpern, “Sh*t My Dad Says” Twitter sensation, author and TV show producer
- Joi Ito, entrepreneur, venture capitalist and chief executive officer of Creative Commons
- Sophie Kinsella, New York Times bestselling author of the Shopaholic series including her latest Mini Shopaholic
- Erik Larson, Edgar Award-winning author and contributor to TIME and the Wall Street Journal
- Jennifer 8. Lee, author, journalist and Knight News Challenge consultant
- Jonathan Maberry, multiple Bram Stoker award-winning author of Ghost Road Blues and Rot & Ruin
- Craig Newmark, Internet entrepreneur and Craigslist founder
- Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of social news website Reddit
- Eric Ripert, celebrity chef, host of PBS’s Avec Eric and Top Chef judge
- Craig Silverstein, Director of Technology, Google
- Caryl Stern, president and chief executive officer of U.S. Fund for UNICEF
- Scott Westerfeld, young adult and science fiction author of the Uglies series and Leviathan trilogy
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer, longtime psychosexual therapist, author of Sex for Dummies
- John Wood, founder and chairman of Room to Read
- and many more!
Please donate and join us in spreading the word — follow the Read For A Cause profile today to stay up to date on what our featured readers are reading and sharing!
Deema Tamimi, Director of Product Marketing (currently reading “Room to Read in India“)